- Preheat your Fornetto oven or your conventional oven to 200 ℃ (400 ℉ ). See tip below about making the chili on the grill instead.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet/fry pan and fry the onions until translucent.
- Add the meat and brown. Strain away any liquid and return to the heat.
- When the remaining liquid has evaporated and only the oil remains, add your spices and fry for a further 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In your stew pot combine all remaining ingredients with the spiced meat mixture.
- Place the stew pot in your Fornetto and cook for 1 hour covered. If you have a Fornetto oven, light your smoking chips and place in the combustion chamber. Be very careful as it will be extremely hot! Turn the flue to “smoke”
- Cook the chili for another half an hour uncovered.
Tip: Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, and finely chopped chilies. Cornbread and guacamole lend them perfectly to this chill as well!
Tip: You can also prepare this dish on the grill. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over a medium heat (180 to 200C). It should take around an hour an a half, until the meat is very tender.