You can make these pita bread in a conventional oven, in a kamado or a smoker using a pizza stone. You can also grill them straight on your Fornetto grill.
- Prepare the yeast – mix with equal parts water and let sit for ten minutes.
- Sift the dry ingredients together into large bowl.
- Add the water, oil and yeast to the dry ingredients and mix together until it forms a rough ball before turning out onto a floured work surface.
- Work the dough for 15 minutes until the dough is smooth before returning to the bowl (oil the sides to prevent sticking).
- Cover with cling film or a tea towel and put the bowl aside or in the warming drawer (depending upon your oven model) and leave to rise or proof for at least 60 minutes.
- The dough must double in size.
- Split dough into 5 balls that you need to flatten with a rolling pin.
- Cover them with cloth and let them rise for another 25 minutes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (at a temperature of 220-250C) using a pizza stone, an oven tray or directly onto the oven floor.
- Use a spatula to position them in the oven.
- The bread will be ready when it is puffed up.
Option: To grill on a gas grill, pre-heat the grill to at least 200C then turn the heat to low. Lay the pita’s directly on the grill grates. Close the lid for about 1-2 minutes. Flip over and grill on the other size for another minute or so.