Easy-to-make sausage rolls and homemade tomato chutney for the perfect party food!
- Roll the sausage meat into 1.5 cm (0.6″) cylinders, sausage shaped, to match the length of the entire sheet of pastry.
- Unroll the pastry and place the sausage meat on it, leaving about 2.2 cm (about 1″) on either side of the meat.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry ensuring that there’s 2.2 cm (1″) on each side of the sausage meat and brush one side with the egg. At this point you should have a strip of pastry that’s about 6 cm (approximately 2.5″) wide by the full length of the sheet.
- Fold the opposite side over the meat and join it up with the side that was brushed with the egg.
- Using a fork, press down on the edge to crimp it.
- Cut the rolls into even pieces and place on the baking stone lined with parchment.
- Bake in a 190C (375F) preheated Fornetto for 30 – 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the sausage meat filling is fully cooked. In the case that the filling is underdone, cover the sausage rolls with foil to prevent darkening and allow to cook further.
For the chutney, fry all the ingredients in a small amount of olive oil until the tomatoes have fallen and allow to cool to room temperature before serving with the sausage rolls.