To make the dough
- Combine yeast, sugar and 2 tablespoons of warm water and set aside in a warm place for approximately 15 minutes.
- Place flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add remainder of water to yeast and whisk through.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mix and combine thoroughly to form a rough ball.
- Add small quantity of flour if your mixture is too wet.
- Turn out onto a lightly-floured board and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth.
- Place tablespoon of olive oil in a clean bowl, coat dough all over and cover with clean tea towel and put aside for 1-2 hours allowing the dough to double in size.
- Place dough back onto floured board and knead a few times.
- For thin base pizzas divide your dough into 4 parts. Shape each ¼ into a round ball.
- Take one ball of dough; keep others covered so they don’t dry out.
- Use a small amount of flour to dust the rolling surface and the rolling pin, to prevent dough sticking. Roll out to required size. (about 30 cm / 12 in)
- Place on pizza stone or tray and add your favourite topping – remember not to overdo it.
- If you use a pizza paddle leave the base on your surface, you can slide it under after all toppings are on the base.
Preheat your Fornetto oven to at least 200 C / 400 F and maintain the heat. You can also make this recipe on a hot grill (using a pizza stone) or in a kamado or smoker.
TIP: Sprinkling (uncooked) polenta meal onto your pizza spatula or stone will prevent it from sticking when you place on the pizza stone and also gives a delicious crispier texture to the base.
- Margarita – spicy homemade tomato relish and shredded fresh mozzarella or bocconcini, fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Mushroom pizza – sliced sautéed mushroom and basil leaves – served with crème fraiche
- Pancetta – rashers of pancetta, sautéed onions, shredded mozzarella
- Pescatoro – fresh salmon chunks, prawns, baby mussels or clams, scallops and calamari
- Salty pizza – black olive tapenade, salt flakes and chopped rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with extra rosemary
- Tandoori – tandoori paste, tandoori chicken (cooked) fresh chopped tomatoes and mint yoghurt