Just like any pizza, you can top this deep-dish pizza any way you like it! Here’s our recipe for pesto, cherry tomato and buffalo mozzarella.
- Begin by preparing the dough following the directions in the recipe on our website: Click here.
- When the dough has risen, preheat your Fornetto oven, kamado, smoker or conventional oven to 190C (375F). (Note that for a deep-dish pizza done in ceramic, it’s important that the heat is not too high, or the toppings will cook too quickly, and the dough won’t cook through.)
- Lightly grease the dish with a small amount of olive oil.
- Spread the dough in the dish using your fingertips until it stays at the edge of the dish on its own.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the dough. If you like it very saucy, use the whole 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Spoon the pesto over the sauce so that it remains in individual spots, do not spread it. (This makes for delicious “basily” bites every now and again as opposed to all the same flavour the whole way though.)
- Place the rings of mozzarella evenly on the pizza and repeat with the halves of tomatoes, slightly pushing them slightly into the dough.
- Drizzle the top lightly with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle lightly with dried oregano.
- Bake the pizza in the lowest rack position of the Fornetto oven, or a conventional oven for 30-40 minutes. If baking two, alternate the pizzas halfway through the cooking time. If you are using a kamado place the ceramic dish on the grill above the heat deflectors.
- Allow the pizza to cool for about 5 minutes in the dish then remove, slice and serve. You’re in for a treat. Enjoy!
You can make this pizza in a conventional oven, or in a kamado or smoker.